Wednesday, June 10, 2015

the good things never seem to last

I'd heard people say that as soon as you get used to your baby, they change everything up on you. I didn't really understand what they meant.

Til now.

My sweet baby boy just started sleeping through the night about two weeks ago. And he did it consistently! Every night for almost two weeks he went to bed between 8 and 10 and didn't wake up until after 7 in the morning. It was glorious. It was heaven.

The first couple of days into it, I was cautious. Every night I expected the worst. I didn't want to let myself get too comfortable. Didn't want to really relax. Didn't want to tell people he was sleeping through the night because I didn't want to jinx it.

But after 10, 11, 12 days... I started to expect the sleeping-through-the-night thing. I mean, twelve days? That could not be a fluke!

And all was well.

And my needs-to-be-super-swaddled-or-will-not-even-close-eyes baby suddenly decided he didn't need to be swaddled anymore, either. I was shocked and astounded and I praised the heavens because swaddling a squirmy, 21-pound seven-month-old is HARD.

It was the best double-whammy ever! He was sleeping through the night AND I no longer had to worry about that dumb swaddle!

I rejoiced. I patted myself on the back for my superb parenting skills (because it was obviously all me). I got more sleep in the last two weeks than I have in the last seven months combined. It was heaven.

But then these two, sharp, jagged, tiny little white daggers popped out of his bottom gums about three days ago and everything I knew about my baby was suddenly thrown on its head.

Sleeping through the night? HA! Good one!

Sleeping unswaddled? Not anymore!

Keeping his freak-outs during breastfeeding to a minimum? No way, mama!

Smiling? What's that again?

Waking up giggling after every nap? I wish!

My poor baby boy. :(



Dear little teething monster,
Who are you and what have you done with my sweet baby Bug?
Love, a very tired mommy who is so sorry your teeth hurt but that was really mean of you to tease her with the whole no-more-swaddle thing. She really got her hopes up with that one.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter is 4 and doesn't sleep through the night!!!!! Someday I will get sleep again

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I love your comments, and try my best to respond to every one!