Tuesday, March 12, 2013

pinterest didn't even help with this. i came up with it all by myself.

Sorry this is about a month late for Valentine's Day, but I figured I just had to share the stroke of brilliance I had when I made Fiance's Valentine's Day present.

See, I don't like store-bought presents so much. I like getting crafty. I love ripping up scrapbook paper, getting marker all over my fingers, and ending up sticky up to my elbows with glue. Nothing says, "I freaking LOVE your GUTS!" like a homemade present.

So, without further ado, I give you

(Drum rollllllll...........)


This baby is a countdown book. It is a book full of notes--one for each day from Valentine's Day until our wedding day. Fiance gets to read a little something from me every day so that he doesn't forget who he's marrying. It's great!


what you'll need:
1an empty journal. Preferably un-lined, but if you love lines, then you can get a lined one. Just don't say I didn't warn you that this will turn out better if you use an un-lined journal. Because I totally did.
2scrapbooking supplies. Whatever floats your boat. I had colored scrapbook pens, wooden buttons, scrapbook lovey dovey stickers, wedding stickers, and a book of fancy scrapbook paper. But go ahead and get lost in the craft store. Odds are, you'll spend way more money than you expected to, but your book will rock! (and that's what matters, right?)
3envelopes. As many as you need. Depends on how many days it is until the event you're counting down to. For me, I had to get 79 envelopes because there were 79 days from February 14th to May 4th. I also got a few different kinds of envelopes to add variety, and I really like the effect it created. Just make sure the envelopes aren't bigger than the pages of your journal!
4creativity. What do you want your notes to say? I had four different types of notes in my countdown book: quotes about love/marriage, favorite memories of us, coupons (you know, a la "one free massage" and "one free ticket out of the doghouse and into my arms"), and a few heartfelt letters here and there. You could put in jokes, photos, drawings, candy... you name it! It's your book, so do it your way!



what you'll do:
1glue an envelope on each page of the journal.
2write the dates on the outside of the envelopes, as well as the number of days until the event you're counting down to.
3decorate your envelopes. Add stickers, draw borders, glue buttons... whatever you want! Just make it your own.
4measure out and cut scrapbook paper to make cards that will fit inside of all of your envelopes.
5write out all of your notes
6stuff the envelopes. (warning... this will make the book a bit tougher to close--when it's packed full of love, it'll be a bit bulkier!)
7hand that sucker over to your lover!
8receive the "Lover of the Year" award because of how awesome you are.



What did you do for Valentine's Day?
Do you like crafts?
If you try making your own countdown book, be sure to let me know how it goes! You can email me at
whatsinaname.jessica@gmail.com
I love hearing from you!

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a countdown journal! This is adorable! AND it works out great that he has note for everyday until your wedding day!!
    ADORABLE!

    kim
    kimbird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! Love it! Does he actually read the notes every day? I have a feeling my boyfriend would be a slacker and forget al about it :/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I love your comments, and try my best to respond to every one!