Monday, March 18, 2013

lose twelve pounds? check!

Hey, guess who's lost twelve pounds since the beginning of 2013?

Me, that's who!

This nastiness is what one pound of fat looks like (gross, right?) Looking at this makes me want to do the biggest victory dance ever that I lost TWELVE of these bad boys!

Call it "shedding for the wedding," call it, "dieting," call it "holy crap I didn't realize I had love handles til I saw that picture!" Whatever you want to call it, that's what I've been up to this 2013. And I couldn't feel better!

Knowing that there are probably several of you out there who want to lose a few pounds, I thought I'd share my "how I did it" secret formula of success. (Remember, I'm not a physician or an expert. I don't know squat about much. But I do know what works for me. So take it for what it's worth. :)

Ever heard of MyFitnessPal? If not, you definitely need to check it out.

They say that the number one way to lose weight is to simply log everything you eat. "If you bite it, write it."

I've tried doing that a zillion million times (yes, that is a scientific number). I've written things down in notebooks, in my journal, on the "notes" app on my ipod. I even guesstimated calorie counts. Somehow, it never worked for me. I'd log for about a week, and then I'd forget. And I'd misrepresent myself. And I'd leave things off. Soon enough, my food log was done. And I moved on to bigger and better things (like ice cream!).

MyFitnessPal is great because it does all of the work for you. All you have to do is say, "hey, I ate a bowl of Lucky Charms for breakfast," add that bowl of Lucky Charms onto the little app, add in the milk, and then you're off. It calculates the calories FOR YOU. So you can get onto doing better things. And also so that you can't lie to yourself and pretend that a bowl of Lucky Charms is only 70 calories (because, sorry, it isn't).

When you first get set up with MyFitnessPal, you tell it how much you weigh, how old and how tall you are, what kind of physical activity you do, how much weight you want to lose, how quickly you want to lose it, and then it calculates a daily calorie goal for you.

So let's say MyFitnessPal calculated that you should eat 1700 calories per day. You eat a bowl of Lucky Charms (110 calories) with skim milk (86 calories). This genius app calculates that you have 1504 more calories you can eat for the rest of the day. It makes it easy for me to know how much I can eat.

The best thing by far about MyFitnessPal (in my opinion) is that it has a ginormous food database. If you eat it, it's likely that the food is listed in MyFitnessPal. And if you make a lot of homemade food, you can put together your own recipes on the app, and it calculates the calories in your recipes, too!

It also has graphs that show how much weight you've lost, it gives you more calories when you exercise, and it has awesome community motivation and support on the message boards.

Oh, and it's FREE.

Nobody paid me to tell you about MyFitnessPal. I'm telling you because I think it's so dang stinking awesome. I'm down two pants sizes (a size I haven't worn since high school)! I look better, I feel better, and even though it was hard (anyone who tells you that a diet won't be hard is lying to you), it was worth it. And easier than any other diet I've done.

And. It. Works.

So, take it or leave it, but I think this app is the coolest app I've ever used.
(Sorry, I have't taken any photos yet. But I'll post them soon!)


How do you diet?
Have you ever used MyFitnessPal?
Do you like free awesome stuff?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is awesome. I am going to check out the app right now. I hate trying to figure out how much I should be eating. This app sounds perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on your weight loss, jessica!! that's fabulous!
    and i love your post below...so touching. <3
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love myfitnesspal! I used to use it way back when i worked out before i got my appendix removed... hmmm maybe it's time to "dust it off" and get serious about shedding this baby weight!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I love your comments, and try my best to respond to every one!