Saturday, March 16, 2013

cross-eyed and proud.

If you've ever met me in real life, you've probably (okay, definitely) noticed that I have a "lazy eye." (I hate hate hate that term. I'd prefer that you call it by its scientific name, "Amblyopia." [What, you've never heard of that word? What normal place have you been living?!])

(I know my eye isn't that bad in this photo... I wanted to put up a good one, but I have this crazy tendency to delete/hide/burn all of the photos of me when my eye is all skeewompus. So this'll have to do. Sorry guys.)

To me, the term "lazy eye" feels so negative. It feels like it's my fault. Like my eye is being a lazy bum and just needs to get off the couch and stop being lame. But that's not what it is at all.

See, the story of my eyes started the day I was born, almost 23 years ago.

I was brought into the world on a summer evening with a head full of dark black hair (who knows where that went), dark olive skin (coming from a redhead mother--who knew?), and a pair of severely-crossed eyes. Cute, right?

The doctors told my parents that my eyes were nothing to worry about. Most kids' eyes are a little crossed when they're born. It would all straighten out with time, they assured us.

But mine didn't.

My eyes were stuck like that. And it wasn't until I was a few years old that God granted us a miracle.

One morning, my mom and dad were taking me on a walk outside in a stroller. A nice man with a kind smile stopped them to admire their baby. It was only after talking to my parents for a few moments that he mentioned that he was an eye doctor, and that their baby's eyes needed medical attention. If my parents didn't take me to the doctor soon, I could go blind in one or both of my eyes.

Mom and Dad took me to see an eye doctor right away, and my weird crossed eyes were given their first scientific name: Strabismus.

Strabismus isn't common, but is also not extremely rare either. It is basically when the eyes are not aligned (not as a lazy eye, but as a rule. Meaning that the eyes are always crossed no matter which direction they look). To compensate for the double-vision that results from crossed eyes, the brain (being the efficient machine that it is) learns to shut off the vision coming in from one eye. Which is all fine and dandy. Until the vision from one eye has been shut off for so long that the eye loses its ability to see at all.

I went onto the operating table twice when I was four years old. I was terrified. I can still remember lying on that bed both times, staring up at doctors with hairnets and surgical masks, trying my best to be a big girl and not cry, but not really being able to help it. And then I remember waking up afterward, absolutely blind for several days while my stitches healed.

After the second surgery, my eyes were mostly aligned. I was required to wear eye patches and do daily  eye muscle exercises to strengthen the weakened muscles and to make sure I kept the vision in both eyes until I was in high school. But the damage was done by that over-efficient brain of mine. In trying to help me by shutting off the vision in one of my eyes while I was cross-eyed, my brain lost its ability to use both eyes at the same time. Enter the new scientific name: Amblyopia.

So still, to this day, I only see out of one eye at a time. That means zero depth perception (which also lends itself to lots of hilarious mishaps on almost a daily basis). It also means that sometimes when I talk to people, they think I'm talking to someone else. It also means that 3-D movies? Yeah. Not so much.

But most of all, it means that I have a lazy eye. Because I only use one eye at a time, the eye I'm not using just pretty much does what it wants. And I have absolutely no idea unless either someone tells me or I look in a mirror.

But you know what else having a lazy eye means? It means I can tell who my real friends are. They're the ones who don't love me in spite of my bizarro eyes--they love me because of them. They're the ones who laugh along with my when I pour my milk on the counter because I can't tell where the cup is. They're the ones who don't even notice my crossed eyes anymore because it's so normal to them.

They're the awesome ones. :)

Where am I going with all of this? Let me explain.

I started wearing glasses when I was five years old. Since then, I've worn all shapes and sizes of glasses. I've come to love the way glasses help me see the world so much better.

I know that thousands of people wear eyeglasses. Some of them have Amblyopia just like I do, some of them don't. All of them are able to see the world so much better because of their glasses.

And that's why I'm going to tell you about GlassesUSA.com.

GlassesUSA is a company that sells glasses online. Not only are they easy to find, but they're also incredibly easy to use. They have pretty much every type of glasses imaginable. I kid you not. Want hipster glasses? They got 'em. Want librarian-style glasses? Yep, those too. Harry Potter glasses? Oh yeah.

You can browse by frame type, by shape, by gender styles, by price--the options are endless (I'm not kidding), and work for any eyeglasses prescription.

Not only that, but they also offer a 110% lowest price guarantee and a 100% satisfaction guarantee along with a generous refer-a-friend program. Additionally, you can stay up-to-date on all GlassesUSA happenings through their Facebook page (www.facebook.com/glassesusa) and their Twitter feed (@GlassesUSA).

And, because they love us, they've decided to offer all of my blog readers a fantastic 10% off discount! All you have to do is use the discount code: Blog10.

Not only that, but they have a page full of fantastic offers that you should definitely check out if you have a brain at all. :) Check it out under the "Sales and Coupons" tab on their page.

The coolest thing about GlassesUSA, though, is the fun virtual mirror you can use to try on your glasses. Check it out! I love the look of these frames. I picked my best model face for you. :)



Here, try it out for yourself!




Do you wear glasses?
If you purchase from GlassesUSA, make sure to tell me about your experience!

2 comments:

  1. honestly I never even noticed! lol I just noticed how pretty you are. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh... I could have written this post. I am much older than you of course and they didn't know to do the things they can do now. I had to laugh when you said you are talking to people and they don't know you are talking to them. It is kind of funny when they start looking around to see who we are talking to.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I love your comments, and try my best to respond to every one!