Monday, December 10, 2012

sometimes life just wants you to be wet.

Merry Christmas. Fate finally decided to grant us a little bit of December weather (after keeping us in the 60's last week...).


And I am a glamorous campus custodian, therefore my Christmas present today was that I got to shovel the entryways! Yippee Skippy!



That is Morgan, my cool coworker. He shovels snow like a pro even though he's from Seattle and he says that when it snows in Seattle people just hide in their houses until it goes away.



That is a trash can. But it has snow on it, so it's artistic.



This is me at my best angle (the so-dark-you-can't-really-see-me angle). Yep. And I was a shoveling maniac out there.



Note: TOMS are not the best shoe choice ever when it comes to shoveling snow. Just FYI. But it does help a little bit if you sing the two lines that you know from "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" over and over in a creepy man voice.



All sarcasm aside, I really did enjoy the winter wonderland God gave us today. There's nothing quite like a little snow to put me in the Christmas spirit. It was strangely therapeutic to scrape that snow from the sidewalks, too. I became quite nostalgic for the Christmases in New Hampshire that I miss so much.


This is what Christmas is supposed to look like.


We lived in a snow globe.

So many memories of shoveling that driveway with my little brothers and sister. The shoveling turned into snowball fights, which turned into fort-making contests, which led to the driveway somehow never getting fully shoveled. But it was okay, because instead of getting upset at us, Dad crawled into our forts with us and helped us build snowmen to guard the front doors.



Nothing is Christmas to me more than that.





(Yes, that is our mailbox.)





Some of the best memories I have are of being snowed in at this place with the car stuck in the icy, un-shoveled driveway while we huddled up in the mudroom next to the fireplace bundled in giant sweatshirts and homemade quilts.





Merry Christmas, everyone.
And to those of you in New Hampshire, tell it I miss it for me.


What is Christmas to you?
Do you like shoveling?
Have you ever sung "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" in a creepy man voice?

5 comments:

  1. Wow, your place in New Hampshire looks amazing! Being from Australia, I've never actually seen snow, let alone had a white christmas! That really would be a dream for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh man alive (said in my most impressive Jessica voice), I really love those pictures. Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite places!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those pictures are... picture-perfect! It almost makes me wish we got snow where I grew up in California. And no, I can't say I've ever sung White Christmas in a creepy man voice. Wait... never mind, I just tried it. Gosh, that's kinda fun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous you got snow! And those last few pictures from your NH winters?? LOOVVEE. P.S. New England is the best.

    Also, I always realllllly want snow to come and then once I shovel twice I'm like "all right, I'm good. I'm done. Thanks, weather, but I've had enough of you now." I need to suck it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being from Jersey and now living in VA, we get snow at least once a year. So, I totally know what you're talking about with the memories of shoveling with siblings, bundled up inside after, (we'd have extra-extra doses of marshmallows with hot chocolate) and snowball fights galore.

    I miss those simply days.

    And the picture being artistic just because there's snow on it? Hilarious. And so true, right? ;)

    Looks like you grew up in a beautiful home! Love the red door!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I love your comments, and try my best to respond to every one!