Thursday, November 1, 2012

the story of that one time when BOYFRIEND PROPOSED!

Sorry it's been a while since my last post, guys. Life has been... crazy.

Boyfriend hasn't gotten better. His mono has gotten worse. And there might be other complications. He's lost lots of weight, can't keep food down, has had a pretty consistent fever for almost 2 weeks now, is very weak, has jaundice, and a bunch of other symptoms that he might not want me telling you about. And you probably don't want to know about them anyway. But basically... the point is that he is very sick. We've been to the doctor several times and are now waiting for more blood work results to come back. In the meantime... this has been one of the hardest weeks of my life that I can ever remember.

But there is a (super totally amazing-awesome) highlight. :)

We've been planning on getting married for a long time. Months. It's been a long, hard road getting to where we are now. But as soon as we made the official decision to get married, Boyfriend got slammed with this sickness business and hasn't been able to get off the couch since. He promised that as soon as he got better enough to carry out his planned proposal, we would be engaged. But then we found out that he had mono, which doesn't get better very quickly, and then there were his other complications where his sickness became much more than just your typical nasty case of mono. And our hoped-for wedding date was getting nearer and nearer. We needed to get engaged.

Monday morning dawned bright and clear and crisp like most autumn mornings around here do. I rolled out of bed early, yawning and rubbing my heavily-lidded, stressed-out eyes. After a quick shower, I stumbled out the door and to my car to run to the store for more medicine and soft foods for Boyfriend's severely sore and infected throat.

Sick with worry, I stumbled around Smith's with a pained look on my face. Luckily it was just a couple of days before Halloween, so my zombie-like appearance wasn't too out-of-place, though the cashier did give me a strange look when I dumped armfuls of Jell-O and pudding onto the counter and croaked out "plastic bags, please," with a tear-stained voice.

Boyfriend was just where I'd left him the night before--too weak to really get up, and sleeping fitfully on his couch under a blanket to keep back the fever chills. He woke up when I sat down next to him and I gave him water and more medicine. A dull ache bit through my chest every time he opened those yellow, jaundiced eyes.

We talked for a bit, and then I was off to campus to bargain with his professors to see if there is any way for him to not have to withdraw from school for the rest of the semester.

I came back and told Boyfriend what all of his professors said, and he was discouraged. He didn't want to withdraw from school, but it was looking like that was our only option. He was too sick to stand, let alone trek up to campus to mechanical engineering labs and classes and his TA job. After a few more moments of painful discussion, I asked if he wanted any food and he nodded his head.

I went and retrieved a string cheese from the kitchen and on my way back into the living room, Boyfriend pushed back his blanket. He was dressed in a suit, complete with the tie I gave him for our anniversary two weeks ago. He slid down from the couch and onto one knee, hanging onto the side of the couch for the balance his body could not provide.

At first, I was completely confused. Why was he wearing a suit?

And then he pulled a box out of his pocket and opened it.

The sparkle of the diamond was the last thing I saw before I completely burst into tears.

"Will you marry me?" His voice was weak and betrayed his swollen, tender throat, but the words rang loud and clear.

I was crying too hard to make words, couldn't even choke out the yes he was waiting for.

And there, on the floor of his apartment on a Monday morning twenty minutes before I had to leave for work, the best guy I've ever known slid a ring onto my left hand and weakly asked, "these are happy tears, right?"

Yes. The happiest tears I've ever cried in my life.

"Does this mean yes?"

"Yes," I cried. "Yes, I will."

He hugged me tight, leaning a bit on my frame to keep his legs from buckling as my tears dripped onto his suit jacket.

And then he lay back down on the couch, the single most handsome man I'd ever seen, even with his yellow eyes and fever-red cheeks.

This proposal was better than I ever dreamed it would be. It was perfect for us. And it was the best moment of my life so far.

He's still sick and we've really been more focused on his health than anything else this week, but soon we'll get started on planning that wedding--the day where we get to start our forever.

And I can't wait for forever.

44 comments:

  1. AAAAHHHHHHH Congratulations! That is so exciting! I'm sorry he is still so sick. And I hope he gets better soon. But seriously, congrats on the next step to a forever love and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! He's getting better, so soon he'll be back to normal! :) Thanks for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!!!! Such a sweet proposal!! I hope that he gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I thought it was sweet, too. :) And he's on his way to getting better now, so we're very happy about that!

      Delete
  3. Awwww congratulations, really hope your boyfriend is better soon so you can start planning for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! He's starting to get better, so we'll be onto planning our wedding and marriage soon! :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!! Thats incredibly sweet. I hope he gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) He's finally on the mend, so he'll be better before I know it, I'm sure!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!! Sounds so romantic. Hope boyfriend gets better!

    X
    Molly
    thecottagediaries.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was really sweet. :) And he's getting better, so soon he'll be back to his normal self again!

      Delete
  6. Congrats Lady! Hope he gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the saddest/happiest post ever! I'm so excited for you! And I really really hope he gets better like now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I'm excited, too. :) And he's starting to get better now, so things are looking up!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations!!!! Hope he gets feeling better soon, mono is the worst it takes up all of your energy. Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He's on the mend now, so hopefully he'll be back to 100% in no time!

      Delete
  9. AHHH! That was so cute you made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Joanna, you're so sweet! I love you!

      Delete
  10. CONGRATS!!! I am so happy for you! Remember that day forever! It only gets better from here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! I will never be able to forget it! It's one of my favorite memories now. :)

      Delete
  11. ahhhh this is soooo adorable. I love it! Congratulations!! I want to see the ring!! So exciting :) WHen is the big day??

    sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The ring I have right now is just a simple solitaire which is standing as a placeholder until the custom ring we've designed is finished... So once I have my custom ring, I'll be sure to post pictures for everyone to see! :) And the wedding is looking to be at the end of April/beginning of May. No specific date set yet, but we love the idea of a May Day wedding, so it'll probably be May 1st. :)

      Delete
  12. Awww congrats!! I'm happy for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm very happy too! :)

      Delete
  13. You stinker. Your romance and my sick brother in law are making me cry over and over again as I catch up on your blog. Love you guys. So excited for you to join the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Jessi. :) You're the sweetest! Can't wait to be sisters-in-law!

      Delete
  14. YAY!!! Congratulations! I am so happy for you, I hope he gets better soon. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And he's starting to get better now, so one of these days soon he'll be 100% back to normal! :) Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  15. So exciting!! I do hope he gets better, though. I remember when my sister had mono...she was miserable. Can't wait to hear more of the wedding plans, though. Being married rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stefani! He's getting better day by day, so I'm excited for when he won't be sick anymore! And yeah, I'm excited for the wedding plans too! Thanks for your sweet comment. :)

      Delete
  16. Congrats Jess!!!! I am so sorry to hear your soon to be hubby is sick! Hope he feels better soon! I am so so happy for you. Marriage life is amazing! So when is the wedding? Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa! I'm excited for sure. :) The wedding is probably going to be May 1, but that's the tentative date for now. It'll be somewhere in that week. :) Love ya, girl!

      Delete
  17. What a great story! It really hits home for me because my college student just got diagnosed with Mono too. He's trying to finish up the semester, but he might also have to withdraw. He's not nearly as sick as your guys seems to be. I hope they both get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let him take Tylenol too regularly--that nearly caused my fiance liver damage! Haha I'm sure your son will be okay. Mono is ugly, but luckily it always goes away. :) I hope he feels better soon!

      Delete
  18. Congratulations Jessica. Hope everything will get better soon. You are such a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You're so sweet to say that. :) Things are looking up now for sure!

      Delete
  19. This is beautiful.
    Love a good proposal story :)
    Hope he starts to feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! He's doing better already. :)

      Delete
  20. What a beautiful story, and an adorable little blog. I hope he feels better soon, as well. Please visit me if you ever get a chance. Thanks so much! I'll be following you here.

    xo,
    Brani Laine
    http://thatsjustlovelyb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks for stopping by! I'm off to check out your blog now! :)

      Delete
  21. oh my goodness, i love this. i hope that he gets better soon. my freshmen year my friend had mono so i realize how terrible it can be. but at least you guys will be together forever in the end. so much love!

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I thought it was cute, too. My fiance rocks, basically. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I love your comments, and try my best to respond to every one!