Saturday, October 20, 2012

the best gift i've ever given

So a couple of days ago, I talked about the anniversary that Boyfriend and I had (you can read that post if you click on this super awesome link of awesomeness!) If you read that, you might remember that I did several little gifts for him to get throughout that day. Well, get ready ladies and gents, because this post is about how I made one of those gifts (I know, epic, right?)!

You've probably heard of it. Possibly. I saw it on Pinterest and fell in love with the idea. It's called "52 Reasons I Love You"

This is a picture of the one I made.

What you'll need:
1a deck of cards that include the 2 joker cards (totaling 54 cards)
2a super Sharpie pen of amazingness that will last you through this project and possibly make you high because of its smell (But don't do that on purpose. Please.)
3a metal clip ring (I found mine at Walmart. I bet you could, too, if you tried!)
4cardstock paper or 3x5 index cards
5a handy dandy trusty rusty glue stick!
6a hole punch
752 reasons you love your significant other. (Once you start writing them, I promise that 52 isn't actually that much if you're dating/married to somebody amazing. :)



How it's done:
1Measure how large you want your pieces of paper to be once they're glued to the backs of your cards.
2Cut 54 pieces to that size.
3Spend all night (preferably until 4:30am) gluing those pieces of paper to the cards.
4Put the cards in whatever order you like (I just started at 2 and went up to the ace cards and kept the same pattern going--diamond/spade/heart/clover. You can do whatever you want. Just make sure you have a joker card at the front and one at the back--these will be your title and end cards).
5Use the sharpie pen to write one reason on the back of each card (I found it easier to write down my list on a regular piece of paper and then just copy each one onto the backs of the cards. That way when I was trying to make it look good on the cards, I didn't have to think. Not thinking=good.) You can also do what I did if you like, which is to write on the front of each card an explanation for what you wrote on the back. For example, on the back of one card, I put "You always do the dishes" and then on the front, I wrote "Even if you were the one to make dinner!" This isn't necessary, but I think it adds an even more personal touch of adorable-lovey-doveyness. :)
Also--for this step make sure to make a title card (that says "52 Reasons I Love You" on it) and an end card (Mine said, "I love you. Happy Anniversary. Love, Jessica." You can make yours say whatever you want).
6Once you've filled up all of your cards, punch a hole in the corner of each card.
7Slide all of the cards in order onto the metal ring, and you're done!

Let me know if you decide to try it. :)

This gift is great for an anniversary, a birthday, Christmas, or "just because." But be warned: it might make your significant other feel ooey gooey warm fuzzies like crazy. And you might feel them, too. It's contagious, people. :)


Have you ever made this gift?
What creative gifts have you done in the past?
Have you ever accidentally gotten high off of sharpie fumes?

30 comments:

  1. I did this for my husband when I finally got to see him after months of him being gone with the military. I only had two and a half days with him, so I wanted to give him something he could take with him as a reminder of how much I love him and why. He loved it and I loved knowing I had made being apart a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's so great! Thanks for sharing... that is so cute. :)

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to do this! I'm thinking Valentines Day because for the obvious reason plus it's the first day we had a real conversation, it lasted for like 2 hours, and then we hung out everyday after that leading to marriage. haha
    ps. i love the questions you put at the end of your posts and how one of them is always goofy and i laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks! Your comments are always so nice--they make my day. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this! I've always wanted to do something like this. If only I had an other. Oh well, putting it in the memory bank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Keep it tucked away for when you need it!

      Delete
  4. Such a great idea, I might have to do this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do and how it turns out!

      Delete
  5. Cute :) This is one of the first crafts I ever pinned on Pinterest nearly a year ago... and I still haven't actually made it. I really should make it sometime, it's so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you should for sure do it. :) It's a lot of fun!

      Delete
  6. This is lovely I am going to do this for my bf for VDAY! Great post!
    I am your newest follower, follow back??
    http://www.ashleythefashionguru.blogspot.com
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll for sure have to let me know how it turns out! Thanks for the follow--I'm off to check out your blog now! :)

      Delete
  7. I did this for my husband for valentines last year! I loved it! Such a fun gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Glad to hear that you had fun with it--I sure did! :)

      Delete
  8. awww this is so cute!! I'm a new follower from GFC Collective :) Check out my blog marielyvp.blogspot.com

    Thanks,
    mariely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Off to check out your blog now! :)

      Delete
  9. how cute! i'm sure he loved it! New follower from the blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I'll be sure to stop by your blog soon. :)

      Delete
  10. Awww I love this! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought so, too, and I'm so glad I tried it out. :) Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  11. That's a very different idea, how cool! I would love to get a homemade present like this; I always seem to be the one giving them but no one makes anything for me in return! :P

    I'm a new follower of yours - wanna follow back? :)

    - Erin xo

    http://365mu.blogspot.co.uk - One girl's attempt at creating 365 different make-up looks in as many days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah I'd love to follow back! Off to check out your blog now! :)

      Delete
  12. oh my that's adorable!!

    Found you though the Weekend hop and love your blog! New Follower!! Can't wait for more!

    Helene in Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so glad you found me. :) Off to check out your blog now!

      Delete
  13. Popping over from the blog hop. Such a cute idea! I haven't seen this so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Off to check off your blog now!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for being a follower of my blog. I really enjoy reading your posts and I have nominated you for the LIEBSTER AWARD. Please stop by my page at http://summerofmanyhats.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebster-award.html to find out details. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been nominated twice before for that award, but I really appreciate it! I'll for sure do another post and answer your questions! :)

      Delete
  15. How cute! I love this idea!
    Dropping by from the GFC Collective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow great idea, dear!! Really nice post! If you get a second, I'd love to hear your thoughts about my latest outfit :)

    http://mademoiselle-s-blog.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I love your comments, and try my best to respond to every one!