Thursday, September 27, 2012

are you afraid of the dark?

For the record, yes. I am totally afraid of the dark. A big baby.

But actually this post is more about fear in general.

See, today I went to that Book Academy writers' conference (which was tons of fun, just so you know). And there was this workshop class by Josi S. Kilpack about overcoming writer's block... which was perfect for me. It's like she read my blog post last week and was like, "Oh, poor Jessica. I'm going to teach a class so she can not suck at writing anymore."

Anyway, she talked all about lots of different reasons why people get writer's block, and the last one she mentioned was fear.

And I said to myself, "Good crap, she's a genius."

Why do I have writer's block? Because I'm a big pansy! I'm afraid of writing a whole new book and having it get rejected a bajillion and a half times. I'm afraid of having anybody read it because oh my gosh what if they hate it. I'm afraid of trying a new genre. I'm afraid of being a failure.

I am, as they say, a "'fraidy cat."

So after this moment of head-smacking-ness, Josi pulls out this awesome quote that I had to write down because of how brilliant it is:

The ONE factor that makes the difference between those who are successful and those who are not is whether they act on their fears or act in spite of them. THAT is the only determining factor.

Bam. Try that one on for size.

I know what I'm gonna do now. I'm gonna go write the heck out of that book. And the next one. And the next one.

And I'm gonna get published one day. Because I'm a ninja, and I'm better than fear.

What about you?


I don't know if that fear of the dark is going anywhere for a while. We're gonna take this one step at a time. 

Baby steps.

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome quote and uplifting to start my day. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. :) I love your comments, and try my best to respond to every one!